Wednesday, January 30, 2008

The Van Pelt Family

Like many other kids out there, Robby has a blanket that he LOVES! and carries around with him everywhere he can. It's only been to daycare the few times that it was absolutely necessary for the sanity of all parties involved. It's a Classic Pooh blanket with Pooh and Tigger. Jody and Jack gave it to him before he was even born. Since he carries it everywhere you can imagine how dirty it can get. I wish I could add a link that would let you smell how foul it gets as well. He covers up Maggie or Chloe and calls them his baby. He uses it as a weapon and flings it. Cousin Elvis the wonderbeagle runs up and tries to grab it from him. Robby hangs on for dear life just like Linus.


Getting the blanket away from Robby and into the washing machine should be the next olympic sport. Recognizing that moment when all emotions align just so and seizing that moment are critical to success. Tonight was one of those nights.


This is Monday's lunch of PB & J. Yesterday, he actually looked at it and told me it was peanut butter and jelly. Then he tried to eat it off the blanket.


This isn't the best picture, but if you look close you can see grime and what may be blood(?)


Here we have what I call "special woogies" from last week's cold. If you don't know what a woogie is, be thankful.

These are tire treads from being ran over repeatedly with a tricycle. There's some garage floor grease thrown in as well.


This is the runner up in the blanket department. If for any reason the Pooh Blanket is unable to fulfill its role as security blanket, Airplane Blanket will wear the crown. It is one of the fleece-tie blankets I made a little over a year ago.


Because it is fleece, it attracts both dog hair and funky odors.




I had a Drowsy that I took everywhere. She only looked this clean for the first two hours that I had her. Mom, if you are reading this, I am sorry I chose a doll for my security blanket. I know she couldn't go through the washing machine and while I can't remember her smelling anything but comforting; I'm sure she had a fragrance that inspired Glade.


Three weeks ago was one of those days that blanket went to daycare. Mom was still here visiting and recuperating from the heart attack. When Robby and I got home, I realized that I had failed to make sure that blanket came home too. PANIC drove the car back to the daycare center and made it through the doors before they closed for the night. Mom reminded me of how I had once left Drowsy in a store and we were there first thing the next morning waiting for the doors to open. Robby, your Mama may be a Lucy Van Pelt most of the time, but remember there's a little bit of Linus in all of us.

No comments: